The idea I came up with for this blog is to follow our "Escape to the Wilderness" process. My husband and I are looking for land in Washington State to build our "escape". Because this has gone on for the last year and a half, it has become embedded in our daily lives.
Now, I know what others are thinking. "You're crazy moving to a place you've never lived before and do not know anything about." "Why would you want to move out there? It's not like it's Florida or Arizona where you can get away from the cold weather." This all started when I was first laid off in 1996, my mom and I (before I was married) decided to take a trip to Oregon to see what it was all about. Well, I fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. I do like the change of seasons, but I am getting tired of the length of the cold weather and I do not really care for really hot weather either. Moderate weather..that's the ticket. Now that I've convinced my husband that this is a good move, we've decided to buy land (away from Homeowners Associations and nosy neighbors) and build a house, where I hope to have enough land to run an animal rescue.
So, now our days are taken up with scouring the real estate ads for land that is 10 acres or above and under $100K. Plus getting ideas on what kind of house to build, which we've narrowed down to a log home, but are unsure of a floor plan. Of course, since there will be a delay on the home building, what to live in while it's being built and also to make sure that the land has all the utilities needed for whatever we decide.
There is a lot of research inquiry involved in land purchases that I never realized before, especially in a remote area. I look forward to sharing these experiences of the good, bad and ugly, with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a wonderful dream! I can't wait to share your journey!
ReplyDeleteI have never been to the Washington area but I would like to travel there in the future. I am not one for extreme hot or cold weather either. The constant temperature seems appealing but not sure about the rain.
ReplyDeleteI have been reading the Twilight series books and the setting of the story is in Washington close to the ocean. Since the setting is a vital part of the series, the author gives a lot of insight to the beauty of the area. I wonder if more people will want to settle there because of the whole Twilight craze.
I guess I've never been too interested in visiting Washington. I love to travel, but the farthest west I've been is Montana and my next desire was to go to San Diego. Now that I've read your blog and some of the comments, I'm becoming interested in possibly making it a point to take a trip to Washington. I love rain, but I don't know that I'd have the desire to move there for the state itself (I'd need another reason), but happy moving.
ReplyDeleteWow, Washington. I have not been there either, but my husband and I definately want to go someday. Who knows if that will be with the kids or after they have grown up.
ReplyDeleteI know all of that can be overwhelming. I mean we built a house and we didn't move out of our state. I cannot imagine all of the things you guys are doing. I know when we built our house we had just our daughters and were done having children. So our home has 3 bedrooms. Well I guess we were not done with 2 children and now our girls share a room. They don't mind it, I am just glad that room has a large closet. LOL...
Terri
This sounds like a wonderful experience. I cannot wait to hear about what you found. I know my husband and I would both like to visit Washington, but we think we may have to wait until our children are older. The oldest is 7 now. A few years from now would be good.
ReplyDeleteTerri
Kris, did you move your blog? Drop the class? Hang in there, grrl!
ReplyDelete